Saturday, March 20, 2021

Golden Arches and Air Station 3/20/21

 Celebrated the Vernal Equiniox today diving with Katrina P, one of the original Divas of the Deep (tm), and Big Island Divers.  Driving was also a friend I haven't seen a lot lately, Brian Whitlock. 

The day began warm and clear, with excellent visibility even from the boat, which enabled Brian to spot a Tiger Shark as we left the harbor.  Then, north to Golden Arches, where Kona Honu was already on the south mooring, Jacks was at Wackies, so we hooked onto the north mooring at GA and splashed.

Immediately I was under the arch looking for nudis.  There were a few, along with a Flea Cone and a Brilliant Drupe.






As we headed out toward the drop off Katrina hasd some fun being adorable and eventually found a jelly and did her best Green Sea Turtle impression. 




On our way back to the arch I almost ran into this Peacock Flounder, who eyed me suspiciously from her perch on a rock.  Also, another Fried Egg nudi -- there were a lot of them today.


We headed south on SI talking sbout Eel Cove.  That would be great since I missed seeing Gooseberry last time I was there.  But other boats were already on Eel Cove and Rose Garden so we headed for Pawai.  Air Station was available and we moored there, got in the water and headed out to cearch for lionfish.  Boy did we find one!


Other cool finds were a juvenile Yellow Tail Coris and a fish with white stripes I'd never seen before and can't ID.

Out on the very healthy reef we found a number of usual suspects, this Ornate Butterfly and Lei Trigger being a few.  Then Katrina found a kind of Mollusk with its filter feeder poking out of the sand.  Don't know what it was...I don't mess with snails I can't see. 




Here are a couple of Arceye Hawkfish, one a more normal color and the other black, which to me is more rare.




1 comment: