Saturday, March 18, 2023

Dives with Tara and Aquatic Life Divers: Fun coefficient - off the chart

 I've been crossing paths with Tara in the harbor parking lot, over the past few months, as I've headed off on a bike ride and she went down the ramp to the Aquatic Life Divers dock area.  But not today; today was a dive day.  I got there early and loaded some gear down to the boat before she arrived.  On my way back up to get the rest of my rig she drove up, and we cheered the fact that we'd be sharing underwater moments once again.  At the dock Capt. Frankie was prepping the boat and DM Anna was bringing bottles onboard. 

As we left the harbor I noticed how clear the water was and how nice the conditions were.  It was shaping up to be an epic day. Dolphins greeted us as we left the harbor, and friends from Big Island Divers joined us in watching Spinner Dolphins leap and spin.  Here's a video link to Youtube of the moment.



Back in the cabin the fun was underway.

Tara, Anna and Frankie

Descending at a site I usually take a few test shots to dial in exposure.  At the bottom I found myself in the middle of a big group of Yellow Tangs.  They are so common that I usually pass them by, but I had the camera up and saw an Agile Chromis framed perfectly against a Black Surgeon. 

As we got sorted at depth into groups Tara and Anna obliged me for a pic or two,  Also took a video (see below).  Later, as Anna took us out toward the drop off she found a cute little Dwarf Moray peeking out of a hole.




Blue Stripe Snappers are also really common fish in Kona waters, and often they congregate under ledges, as they did today. Back out on the reef a Male Bullethead Parrotfish was on the hunt, and not for food.  

One of the divers signaled me to come over to a hole where he pointed out a nice Strawberry Nudibranch.



 
Often I stumble onto an organism that I can't identify.  Here's an example of what I call "Mystery Thingy" which I found in a hole.    If you can tell me what it is please do.

For me, the highlight of this dive site is the magnificent wall of soft coral Zoanthids.  Here are some pics of them.




Off we go to another of my favorite dive sites.  I didn't take a lot of pics, but among the ones I did take was this big Rockmover Wrasse.  Near the end of the dive Anna found this Tiger Cowrie nestled in a hole.


Had to take some video of moments in such a fun day.  Here's a few clips featuring the big cathedral at Rose Garden.  Usually, surge is too strong to go in there, making it more like a ride in a washing machine, but today it was super calm and nobody got launched up through the skylight.  Stick with it to see Anna dancing on her safety stop.  Here's the link to Youtube.  











1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a gorgeous day! And such fun to have friends to dive with. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete