Sunday, January 12, 2020

1/12/2020 Freezeface and Turtle Heaven

Cold, rainy winter day and here we go diving.  Heading to Honokohau Harbor with windshield wipers on full I turn up the heat.  Yes, I'm in Hawaii, but it does get cold here, like today.

I figure I'll be wet all day so who cares?  Maybe I should have brought the 7 mil... Maybe I should have brought the hooded vest... Well, I certainly should have done the latter, except that I forgot it was here.  OK, I've got a nice warm 5 mil.

Freezeface was our first stop.  I hear from Sandy that there are Psychedelics and Harlequins here. That would mean new ones, since the last pair were taken by collectors two years ago after someone broadcast their locations on social media.  Don't be that guy.

Sure enough there were Psychedelics, and I found a male with females.  Score.


My big miss at this site today was the Frogfish event in the cave that Sandy and Laura recorded.  Big Commersons and a smaller Frogfish settled into Lauras camera frame.  Then the Commersons made a big yawn.  Awesome, but you had to be there sincer I couldn't get the shot.  What was I doing?  Getting caught in a big surge and fighting not to be polarised onto the lava rocks above.  Fortunately for me, Sandy saw me and grabbed my sleeve.   Friends don't let friends get shot to the surface.  Thanks Sandy.

Here are a few cool fish I did get, however, a nice fat Dragon Wrasse and a Longnose Butterfly transition either to or from being a Hawaiian Black Longnose.  Something about their diet makes them changer from one to the other.



 At Turtle Heaven Sandy was talking about swimming out to the green can and dropping onto the sand there.  Not my favorite thing to do, but it is a good way to see Tiger Sharks.  Anyway, she decided to head north along the dropoff and that's when we saw the biggest Titan Scorpion I've ever seen.



At that point my whole day was made.  Here are a few other cool fish I found followed by a lot of Butterrflies, including the fairly rare Saddlebsck.

Black Lip Butterfly

Four spot butterfly

Orange spine Unicorn

Ornate Butterfrly


Razor Wrasse

Saddleback Butterfly

teeth

Whiter Mouth Eel



No comments:

Post a Comment