Friday, March 6, 2020

Pahoehoe Beach Park with my old camera and new plate coral 3/6/2020

Recently I dug out my ancient Canon G10 and the Fix housing with Inon 2000 strobes, thinking it would be perfedft for a shore dive with lots of lava rock to traverse.

The idea today was to dive a new spot near Mile marker 4.5, one that involves lots of lava rock walking.  On pre-gear-up inspection the site looks great.  Fairly ease entrance and exit into a little inlet with deep enough water to giant stride in and steps to climb out.   But there was a bit of swell that i didn't like and the walk was longer than I'd expected, so thumbed the site and went to Pahoehoe Beach Park, a well known and super easy walk-in dive.

The plan was to make it all the way out to the end of the reef at about 80 FSW.  All the way out we heard Whale Song. 

The big reveal for me was that at about 70 FSW, further than I've ever been before, there was another big patch of my favorite Plate Coral, Porites rus.  Pics of very healthy looking coral below.

I was curious how I'd like using the G10 system after being so used to a DSLR, but it was great.  The pics got plenty of light from the Inon strobes, and everything worked perfectly.












No comments:

Post a Comment