Saturday, April 10, 2021

Golden Arches north and Crescent 7/9/21

 Today was a low energy day.  Maybe not enough sleep; maybe thrown off by a gravity wave surge from Proxima Centauri... Anyway, fuck it dude, let's go diving.  So we did.  I arrived at the dock, as usual, about an hour early.  Skipper said, "You're early." 

My first time out with Big Island Divers in a while since all my fav DMs except for Katrina have scattered due to pandemic and who know what else.  New crew was friendly and cool so it's back on Honu Iki.  As we are leaving the harbor my neighbor told me one of the DMs is his daughter.  Cool, I think, I'll be in her group. 

Just outside the harbor we stopped for a while along with KDC and Kona Honu to enjoy some dolphins resting out by the green can.  The ocean was calm and the sun was out, scattering bright little spangles all over the rippled surface of the water.  There was a slight breeze.

We headed north looking for a mooring at north Pine Trees.  Golden Arches south was already taken by Jacks so we took the north mooring.  Someone else was on Wackies so it seemed everyone thought this was the place to be.

On news that there was a slight south to north current I was glad I decided to take the macro extension instead of going wide angle.  The dome port for wide angle catches the current like a sail; I got dragged north from here once a few years ago with it and drifted almost all the way to High Rock before the boat was able to come pick me up.  As we got to depth it seemed it was more of a surface current and ended up being no problem.

Maybe it was me being low energy, but I couldn't seem to find much to photograph; maybe I just wasn't looking/seeing.  What I did find was a bullethead Parrot feeding and some nice Dascillus and a longnose hanging around a nice antler coralhead.  The Barred Filefish was nice with his teeth showing.  There are a million Arceye hawkfish around and they're easy to shoot because they stay put in their little ambush lairs.  This one seemed a bit grumpy.


I spent some time under the arch looking for nudis but didn't find any after scouring both sides and the roof.  So I turned to the ever-presenrt bluestripe snappers.  One of them turned left directly into my lens.  The rest did their usual back and forth thing as a group.



 

At Crescent we didn't go out to the sand but zigzagged back and forth across the down sloping reef looking for smaller critters.  I kept scanning into the blue for pelagics but never saw any. Ended up back in the shallows hanging with the school of goatfish that are always there, though I did find a nice reef lizard out in deeper water.

Again I have to urge divers not to stand on the bottom, sand or reef, and please don't kick up silt and sand in the lavatubes and arches.  There are divers behind you that have to swim through that stuff.  Don't be that guy.









No comments:

Post a Comment