Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Gloomy Tuesday which was actually a good Nudi Tuesday

 It's not that the day was overcast and gloomy, although the drive down to Honokohau harbor was a bit grey.  It's that we found two Gloomy Nudibranchs within about 10 yards of one another.  Donna found a third one we learned later.  Here they are respectively, Gloomy 1 and Gloomy 2, along with a larege Fried Egg nudi that was chilling in the same area.

Continuing with the Nudi Tuesday theme here is a cave wall with numerousw White margin Nudibranchs and what are most certainly their eggs.  Busy little nudis.

For me the first dive was a bit of a slog; I was feeling a bit off, maybe from fatigue after three days diving out of four, maybe from fretting over the eventual heat-death of the universe, but probably most likely because Doug, on whom I rely to spot cool stuff, was not feeling well either and had the good sense to stay home.  

Since w3e're still talking about tiny things, Laura, who also relies partially on Doug, did manage to find a couple of very cool critters: Black Peacock Razor Wrasse and a Firedart.  This was out in the deep rubble.  I chased the Razor Wrasse trying to get a side view but he was too fast so a view from above was all I could get.



On our way back from the deep we swam over a Flowery Flounder trying to be one with the rock.  Good job.  I got a couple of shotws of him and he didn't run away.  In a crevasse someone, maybe Allen, found a Sculptured Slipper Lobster, my first time seeing one of those, so thanks Allen.




While meandering about the reef I ran into a few common fish we see all the time, and since they didn't quarrel with me shooting them, here they are.  I didn't want to do any hard work, and they seemed to sense that if I was going to take a pic of them they would have to not run away.

Lei Trigger, Orangespine Unicorn, hawaiian Squirrelfish and a Threadfin Butterfly.





For some reason it must be transition time for Juvenile Blackside hawkfish to turn adult.  I've seen a number of them this past week at various spots.  Here's the latest one, almost there.

Finally, and this is pretty cool: Two Fireworms, at least I think it's two.  Maybe a mom and baby?  How long do Fireworms care for their offspring?  So many questionsw that Wiki can't answer.  I didn't bother them since Fireworms and centipedes have a lot in common.







1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day. Wonderful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete