Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentine's Day dives: Pipe Dreams and South Pines

After a two year hiatus I made it back to Pipe Dreams today.  It's a site right off the tip of Keahole Pt, the furthest west point of the Big Island.  There's often current there, and there was today, but it wasn't bad, so we went in.

First thing I wanted to see was that the pipe broke in half last year during a storm.  Sure enough the pipe is now in two pieces; the bottom half broke off and slide down the steep slope toward the bottom.  The bottom of the pipe used to be at about 125 FSW.  Now the top of the bottom half is at ab out that depth, and the bottom is now probably around 140 FSW.  Too deep for rec diving, and way too deep for Nitrox, which I was breathing today.  so I just looked.  Didn't get a still shot of it but there is a video I'll add when I get it processed.

Crown of thorns detail

Crown of thorns star

Flounder face

Flounder Swimming

Harlequins


Octopus on the move

Octopus on the move

Male Spotted Boxfish


Reef Lizard
Valentine Day Divas

No comments:

Post a Comment